You’ve heard “Practice Makes Perfect” – not really, but Practice does help us grow. One of the Secrets I reveal in BurlyQFit is that Practice Makes Sexy.
BurlyQFit provides a safe space for students to practice “Sexy” because so many places in our world don’t hold women safe in this energy, and this creative energy is important for us!
The goal with practice is to become comfortable with whatever we’re growing toward so that you can live it daily, eventually effortlessly. And there’s a whole variety of practice.
One student shared her Aha Moment, when she realized practice could be just a couple minutes drilling a specific move rather than hours of rehearsing an act in costume and full make-up.
Another student shared her realization that the Showgirl Posture we train in class can be “practiced” any time she's working at her stand-up desk and reduce strain on her neck.
From 5 minutes to an hour or more, Practice is just how you develop a new skillset into something you live. Here are some ways (easier than you may think), to build a Practice for Sexy, or anything else:
Mindfulness – Focused receiving and thought are great for putting you into a specific space.
- Take It In – Explore your growth space a little more by reading, browsing online, hearing from others. For Practicing Sexy: window shop for lingerie, listen to music that grooves your sexy spots or read something that turns you on.
- Dream a Little Dream – Let your mind wander to a space where you’re totally comfortable in your new practice, either somewhere you’ve been in the past or are heading toward.
- Talk, talk, talk – Sometimes it isn’t until we share what we’ve been taking in that we get clarity about it or realize how much we’ve absorbed it, and if you’re feeling comfortable enough to talk about being sexy, you know you’re living it!
Get Physical – Humans are experiential beings, and as Dr. Teeth says: “There ain’t nothin’ to it but to do it”.
- Go Big – It’s true, sometimes you need to spend really focused periods of time developing your practice. This is where you set aside other parts of life and put all of your attention on your practice. Frequency certainly makes a difference here, but no need to stress if don’t can’t, you will grow with consistent practice however you do it.
- A Little Bite – You can practice something for just a few minutes and still make big changes. That student who drilled her new move for just 5 minutes a day? She’s now so comfortable with it she performs it on stage! I practice Burlesque Grinds while doing dishes, brushing my teeth and driving (at stoplights!).
- Live It – As my other student realized, you can just practice in daily living. I practice peeling stockings when I take my regular socks off. Don’t complicate it, just do what you’re practicing as you go about your day – becoming natural in it is the goal after all!
And “Perfect”? I feel that’s a fairly unattainable goal for anything and a moving target for most humans because once we feel good about where we’ve gotten to most of us look for the next hill to climb.
Consider enjoying the journey, thanking your self for the willingness to try something new and the persistence to keep going – that is a BIG DEAL!!!!
Surround yourself with others developing a similar practice, including some people a little further on in their journey, so you have a supportive community to both inspire you to more and appreciate your growth. Many thanks to my friend Renee for reminding me to enjoy my ride!
If you should decide to Practice Sexy, I’m here for you! May the Fabulous Be With You! Eva D’Luscious
Eva D’Luscious is a Burlesque performer and producer based in Portland, OR, and Creatrix of BurlyQFit – a Body Positive Burlesque technique and fitness program for women ready to strip away shame and shimmy into self-confidence. Though her oldest son just turned 13, she is still a huge Muppets Fan. Join the conversation about body positivity, fun fitness and boss babes ruling their lives in the BurlyQFit Babes Facebook Group.